Sunday, June 3, 2007

Music 101

Well, another month has passed. I am still teaching business English and still can't get a month off from teaching on Saturdays. They don't have enough business teachers, so I got stuck teaching again. The money is so, so because it is dependent on the number of students enrolled. I just wish that I could have a full weekend to relax and prepare for the normal week. June is supposed to be the calm before the storm (July). Summer vacation starts in July and there will be many more students. I doubt that my class numbers will change much, but I might be given a normal Speaking, Listening, and Expression class.

As for my social life, I don't have much of one, except this weekend. One of my Korean language classmates called and said she had an extra ticket to a classical music concert since her boyfriend had a family matter. So, on short notice, I joined her at the Seoul Arts Center and listened to Yoonyoung Kim play a cello with Eun-Ok Kim accompanying on piano. The concert was quite good even though I am not an expert. She played music by Beethoven, Stravinsky, and a couple other composers.

On Sunday, a former student invited me to a concert for the Seoul Jazz Festival 2007. To start, there was a Korean jazz group that played. For the main performance, it was the Pat Matheny Trio. They are from the States and Pat is an amazing jazz guitarist. If you have a chance to see him in concert, I would definitely recommend him. He plays a variety of different types of guitars, which provides for an interesting show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

P.S. You want to talk about "guitarists" though, ya gotta listen to Jerry Douglas on the Dobro. You'll never hear anything else like it. Awesome. :)

Chris