Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year/New Job/New ???

Another year has passed and according to Korean age, I am 32, so I am feeling a little old.

My contract ended at my last job and was not renewed for a couple reasons, so I was searching for a job while finishing my contract in December. Luckily, one of my old colleagues from my job in 2007 called me to say that a position was opening up at his university. So, he arranged for me to interview with the director of the Language Institute. I interviewed and got the job, so I will begin March 1st with a one year contract.

SungKyunKwan University (SKKU --http://www.skku.edu/eng/) is located in the northern part of Seoul and I live in the southern part. Fortunately, I live right next to the subway line that also is the closest to SKKU, so it will be about 30+ min on subway and 5 min shuttle bus to my school. Yeah, 5 minute shuttle bus ride doesn't seem far, so why not walk. Well, SKKU is located on top of a big hill and my building happens to be conveniently located at the top. So, I will stick to using the gym in the basement of my apartment that I already paid for instead of sweating at the office. (aside: I have been working out for 3 months with no change)

The guaranteed salary is better than my old job and I don't have to work as much. Universities jobs are considered the best. I will be teaching a freshman writing course for the first semester. I will have 15 hours/week of classroom time with some prep work, but lots of marking since it's a writing class. I might get an extra class for the fall semester, which would mean more money.

Korea is opposite of US system, spring is 1st semester and fall is 2nd semester. They also have a 5-week intensive course during the summer/winter breaks, which are paid extra on top of our normal salary. As for vacation, I will get a two week vacation around the end of June, three week vacation end of August, two week vacation around Christmas and three weeks end of February.

Not much else new in my life.

No comments: