Sunday, March 11, 2007

Chairman Go

On Saturday, I had another weekend class. It was the usual lesson with students arriving late and some students being more enthusiastic and active in the class. After class, I went to the faculty lounge to get my things. I didn't realize at first, but Chairman Go was there talking to some of the teachers. Chairman Go is the owner of the institute that I work, so he is very rich and respected. We talked for a little while and then he asked if we had lunch. He invited two other teachers and me for lunch. Peter, who has been with Pagoda for five years, said that this is quite rare. At first, we were at a Chinese restaurant nearby, but the other teacher is vegetarian, so Chairman Go decided that we had to leave the first restaurant and go to one that specializes in healthy vegetarian food. The food was good and I did have fish in my soup. Chairman Go said that I probably didn't get the best food since I am bigger and probably expected a meal with meat. After lunch, he took us to Starbucks for coffee, which is very popular and it is normal to go for coffee after lunch at another location. We walked across the street back to the Pagoda building and his car was waiting. He has a Korean car, but it is a limo. It isn't that long, but the back seat is definitely made to have more room. The "B" pillar is about 6" wide. Considering how wealthy he is, he rides in a fairly affordable car. I was a little surprised that he didn't have a foreign car like most other super rich Koreans.

No comments: