Saturday, May 17, 2008

First week

My flight to Seoul was definitely an adventure. I got to the airport and checked my bags, but they weighed them all and said I was overweight on both checked bags and carry-on. So, I had to buy a box and pay for an extra piece of luggage. I practically emptied my carry-on to get it under the weight limit.

Once I arrived, my mom came to airport to pick me up. She lives just south of Seoul city limits in a new apartment. It has 2 smallish bedrooms, living room, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a den, and a couple enclosed balcony areas. The apartment is part of a large complex. It has about 10 buildings with 2-6 apts. per floor with 10-15 floors.

On Thursday, I visited my old job. As usual, there was some teachers that I still knew, but a lot of knew foreign teachers. Turnover is reoccurring because 90% of teachers only stay for the one year contract. As for the Korean teachers and employees, there is less turnover. Everyone did ask me if I was going to return as a teacher, but I haven't decided that yet. I will search for non-teaching jobs first, but may resort to teaching if I need a job.

Even though my mom lives outside of Seoul, transportation is very good. I live about 5 blocks from the subway and two blocks from a major bus stop. The bus stop is really nice because it has many different buses and it also displays exactly when to expect a bus. This feature is nice because you know how long of a wait is and you know when you have to start waving for your bus. If you don't wave at the bus, sometimes the bus won't stop unless someone is getting off the bus.

When I was in San Francisco a few bus stops had the bus time feature, but it was disappointing most times. Buses in San Francisco are notorious for being late or not running all scheduled times. Also, people cheat the system and don't pay in SF, but in Korea, everyone is orderly when they get on and off the bus. Also the payment system is easier in Korea because you can buy an electronic prepaid pass that can be used for transfers. SF has an unlimited monthly pass that is convenient, but expensive if you don't ride every day. Korean system is pay what you need and rides are cheap, about a dollar.

I am not sure how much different is living with American mom or Korean mom. Saturday morning, my mom gave me a multi-drawer storage bin and communicated that I need to finish unpacking and get my room cleaned. Both of my moms keep a very clean home, so that won't be much a change.

Even though my mom has retired from teaching, she has a pretty busy schedule and I haven't spent too much time with her. I am not exactly sure of her schedule, but I know that she goes to exercise and takes an English class. It's nice that she is taking English lessons, so we can communicate, but I should be working on my Korean to make it easier for her. Also, I will need it for socializing and possibly work, so I will attempt to study more.

No comments: