Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cousin's son/KTX

Last week, I decided on a day trip to visit my cousin's wife (Yuna) and son (Hanmin) in Daejeon, which is about 90 miles away. Since I hadn't rode it yet, I bought a ticket for the KTX (a high speed train) that has a top speed of about 180 MPH. It is similar to TGV in France. Recently, Korea has built it's own KTX, but initially purchased trains from TGV. The KTX is more expensive, but it is the fastest and also comfortable way to travel. It only takes 50 minutes to Daejeon when a bus would take at least 90 minutes. A one-way ticket was 20,000 Won ($13 dollars approx.).

My cousin is actually in New York City studying at a university, but his wife and son live in Daejeon, her hometown. I wrote about their wedding last summer, which was the last time that I saw them. Hanmin (son) has grown a lot and is speaking a lot more. He knows that I am "Daniel samchon 삼촌", which means Uncle Daniel. In Korea, everyone is called older brother/ sister/ uncle/ aunt even if they aren't "officially" related due to Confucius hierarchy and respecting elders.
I didn't take many photos and he isn't very patient when someone wants to take a photo. Since it is still winter, we went to an indoor playground, so he could play while Yuna and I talked. Even though there many things to do, he was more interested in the toy display at the playground. But, he was very happy when I gave him a toy car from "Cars", the movie.

Surprisingly, while I was in Daejeon, it started snowing. It was also snowing in Seoul, but there have been only a few days where it is has snowed this year.

Next week:

I will start my new job at SKKU, so maybe I will some interesting stories about what my students do in class or in their writing.



No comments: